By Enyichukwu Enemanna
To resolve a dispute between Pretoria and Washington over a land policy that has been criticised by the US, the South African President stated on Thursday that he wanted to “do a deal” with President Donald Trump.
Relations between President Cyril Ramaphosa and Trump had also been strained after South Africa filed a genocide suit against Israel, an ally of the United States, at the World Court.
“We don’t want to go and explain ourselves. We want to go and do a meaningful deal with the United States on a whole range of issues,” Ramaphosa told a conference in Johannesburg. “I’m very positively inclined to promoting a good relationship with President Trump.”
Trump, who took office in January, had earlier in the month terminated US financial assistance to South Africa, citing disapproval of its approach to land reform and the International Court of Justice (ICJ) case against Israel over its war in Gaza against Hamas.
At the press conference in Johannesburg, organised by US bank Goldman Sachs, Ramaphosa said he wanted the “dust to settle” after the executive order but that the longer-term goal was to go to Washington to mend relations.
The South African leader did not give details of what the deal could involve, but analysts believe it could touch on trade, diplomatic, and political matters.
South Africa does not entirely rely on assistance from the US to fund its budget. However, under the US African Growth and Opportunity Act (AGOA), it enjoys preferential trade status, which may come under threat with Trump at the helm.
South Africa projects itself as neutral in the geopolitical power play, especially between Russia, the US, and China. However, Washington views the genocide suit as taking a position that contradicts that of the US.