By Emmanuel Nduka
Wife of former Nigerian Senate President who was jointly accused with her husband of plotting to traffic a homeless man into the UK to harvest a kidney for their daughter, has been granted bail.
Beatrice Nwanneka Ekweremadu, 55, together with her husband Ike Ekweremadu, 60, allegedly trafficked the 21-year-old to London from the streets of Lagos in order to harvest his organ.
They are accused of plotting to traffic him to transplant his organs to their daughter who suffers from kidney failure.
The couple appeared at the Old Bailey on Friday for a bail hearing, as the husband was denied bail.
Mrs Ekweremadu is charged with arranging or facilitating travel of another person with a view to exploitation, between August 1 last year and May 5 this year, under the Modern Slavery Act 2015.
Her husband is charged with conspiracy to arrange or facilitate travel of another person with a view to exploitation, namely organ harvesting.
The Common Serjeant of London, judge Richard Marks, said: ‘The position is that I have granted bail to Beatrice subject to some fairly stringent conditions but I have refused bail to Ike.’
Prosecutors are not appealing the decision, the court heard.
Prosecutor Tim Probert-Wood said previously that the case involved ‘exploitation and the harvesting of an organ.’
The couple were arrested at Heathrow Airport on June 21 after arriving on a flight from Turkey
“The case began on 5 May 2022 when the complainant presented himself at Staines Police Station and claimed he had been transported to this country for the purpose of his kidney being removed.
“He arrived on 20th February 2022 and was taken to Royal Free Hospital where tests were conducted.
“For the purpose he was there he did not consent to the taking of his kidney.
“He returned to the house he was staying and his treatment changed dramatically.
“He described being treated effectively as a slave,” the prosecutor said.
The victim allegedly escaped the address and was homeless for three days before he turned up at Staines Police Station.
Martin Hicks, QC, defending Ekweremadu, said: “We deny that there was any exploitation or any intent to do so.
“The argument will be factual denial.”