The Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) and M23 rebels will meet for direct talks on April 9 in Qatar. This could be a big step toward ending years of fighting in eastern DRC.
The meeting is important because it is the first time both sides will talk face-to-face since M23 took over major cities in eastern DRC last year. The fighting has killed thousands and forced many more to flee their homes.
A DRC official said the talks will happen unless “the other side misbehaves.” An M23 source said they will bring their demands to the meeting. Both sides agreed not to share details publicly.
The talks come after DRC President Tshisekedi and Rwanda’s President Kagame met secretly in Qatar last month. Qatar has been trying to help both sides find peace but until now, DRC officials and M23 had not met directly.
Rwanda denies helping M23, saying it only defends itself against DRC-backed militias. However, many reports show Rwanda supports the rebels.
The conflict started after Rwanda’s 1994 genocide and is also about control of valuable minerals in eastern DRC.
M23 has always wanted direct talks with the DRC government, but President Tshisekedi refused, calling them puppets of Rwanda. He changed his mind last month after losing ground in the war. A previous meeting in Angola was canceled when M23 walked out after EU sanctions.
Now, with Qatar’s help, there is new hope for peace—but no one knows if it will last.