By Enyichukwu Enemanna
Popular Chinese video-sharing platform, TikTok has rejected the £12.7 million ($15.9 million) fine slammed on the company by UK authorities for allowing up to 1.4 million children under the age of 13 to use the platform in violation of its own rules.
UK’s Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) on Tuesday accused the Beijing-based firm of breaking its (UK) law by failing to obtain the consent of parents or guardians to use the children’s data after they had set up accounts despite being too young.
The fine comes amidst a wave of bans by Western governments on the platform’s use on official devices, for concerns that the data could be accessed by Beijing, a Russian ally.
TikTok however faulted the ICO’s finding. “We will continue to review the decision and are considering the next steps,” the company said in a statement.
“We invest heavily to help keep under 13s off the platform and our 40,000-strong safety team works around the clock to help keep the platform safe for our community,” it said.
TikTok nevertheless welcomed a decision by the ICO to slash the fine from £27 million, which the regulator had previously warned it might impose.
TikTok terms of service do not permit children under 13 to set up accounts.
ICO insists TikTok had failed to carry out adequate checks to stop that from happening in Britain, and up to 1.4 million children were affected in 2020.
“That means that their data may have been used to track them and profile them, potentially delivering harmful, inappropriate content at their very next scroll,” Information Commissioner John Edwards said.
“There are laws in place to make sure our children are as safe in the digital world as they are in the physical world,” he said in a statement.
“TikTok did not abide by those laws.”