By Victor Kanayo
FIFA has revealed that only the United States of America (USA) and the United Kingdom (UK) have had their bids accepted for the 2031 and 2035 editions.
FIFA President Gianni Infantino disclosed this on Thursday during the UEFA Congress in Belgrade.
He said, “Today I can confirm that we have received one bid for 2031 and one valid bid for 2035.”
“2031 is from the USA and potentially some other CONCACAF members together, and ’35 is from Europe, from the home nations,” he added, referring to England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland.
Infantino also said FIFA planned to increase the number of participating teams at the Women’s World Cup from 32 to 48 in time for the 2031 tournament.
England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland submitted a joint expression of interest in March to host the World Cup across the home nations.
Under FIFA rotation rules, the tournament must be held in Europe or Africa.
Spain’s federation president, Rafael Louzán, said last week that they were “working on” a joint bid alongside Portugal and Morocco.
However, the deadline for expressions of interest passed on Monday, and Infantino says the UK’s bid is the only one received for 2035, while the United States is set to host the 2031 edition.
Barring confirmation, the 2035 Women’s World Cup will be the second time a World Cup has been held in the home nations, after the 1966 men’s tournament in England.